November 27, 2009

Week 1 Part 1

Just when you think you know something about technology, it all changes! I used to consider myself somewhat knowledgeable when it came to technology, but now I am somewhat reconsidering. I recently took the Technology Applications Inventory, where I felt pretty good about what I knew. I answered yes to most of the questions, which I now realize is due to the vagueness of the questions. The areas where no was my answer were due to lack of clarity on the depth of knowledge or simply because I had not worked with a program enough. Then I took the SETDA Building Survey. What a new realization! Personally I have worked with several of the programs, but since I am no longer in the classroom, I decided to do the building survey. It was a wakeup call to me on how much I the students in my school suffer from lack of technology. Unless students choose to enroll in the technology applications classes offered at my building, they do not receive any technology instruction. The assessment also brought to my attention that my building has an unforeseen expectation that technology will be used in the classrooms, but it rarely is used in regular instruction.

As an administrator, I think that modeling the technology expectations through staff developments, communications among staff, and even in presentations to students. The SETDA survey also helped me realize that my principal is working to make an impact on students and technology. She has begun utilizing the calling system to notify parents of upcoming events, testing, and other important information. This has helped teachers realize they need to be on the top of their game. For future staff developments, I would love to see more on the newest programs available to assist teachers in the classroom, as well as programs that will motivate our students to achieve at our high expectations. The assessment definitely helped me realize too that my building is still evolving towards moving into the 21st century of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment